Charles Mix County is located in south central South Dakota along the Missouri River. The county is nearly 100 miles in length. Municipalities within the county include: Academy, Dante, Geddes, Lake Andes, Marty, Pickstown, Platte, Ravinia, and Wagner. The Charles Mix County Courthouse is located in Lake Andes, SD. The first county courthouse was located in Wheeler in 1881. In the 1950`s when the Fort Randall reservoir was built, Wheeler was flooded. The current building was designed by architect William L. Steele and is a four story building. The courthouse was built in 1917 at a cost of $150,000.